Bettersizer S3 series – Particle Size and Shape Analyser
Particle size and shape analysis 0.01 – 3,500 µm
With its unique and innovative design, the Bettersizer Series (consisting of the Bettersizer S3 and the S3 Plus) combines the measurement methods of static light scattering and dynamic image analysis, thus offering a universal option for characterizing the size and shape of particles from the nanometre to the millimetre range.
Using the patented DLOIOS technology, even nanoparticles (from 10 nm onward) can reliably be characterized. The additional lens between the laser and the measurement chamber enables the detection of the backscattered light. The use of only one laser with the oblique incidence of light provides a continuous scattering spectrum with consistent wavelength and allows the detection in a continuous angle range up to 165°.
Since the maximal intensity of the scattered light of large particles can only be detected at very small angles, the classical static light scattering cannot analyse those particles sufficiently enough. The image analysis system of the Bettersizer S3 Plus enables, in contrast to other laser diffraction systems, the reliable detection of larger particles thanks to particle detection by the camera and thus allows realistic measurements up to 3.5 mm.
Thanks to the implemented dynamic image analysis, the most important shape parameters can be calculated from the individual particle images – aspect ratio, circularity, sharpness of edges, and others.
The shape analysis can be carried out simultaneously with the size analysis or independently. Thereby you can choose between two magnifications for image collection (Bettersizer S3 Plus: 0.5X and 10X).
Specifications/Features/Advantages of the Bettersizer S3 series
- Particle measurement range: 0.01 – 3,500 µm*
- Integrated CCD camera (0.5X) for the (optionally) significantly more precise detection of coarse particles up to 5 mm, especially of oversized particles, compared to “plain” static light scattering
- Only Bettersizer S3 Plus: a second integrated CCD camera (10X) for the additional analysis of particle shape from a size of around 4 µm
- Innovative double lens technology (DLOIOS) with an extremely wide detection angle range (0.02° – 165°) and detection in the backscattering direction for reliable measurement of even very small particles (> 10 nm)
- Single laser technology and thus consistent laser wavelength (532 nm) for all evaluations
- Short measurement time of less than one minute
- Determination of the refractive index
- Standard operation procedures (SOP)
- Automated dispersion and circulation system
- Automatic centring function of the optics before each measurement
- Accurate calibration function
- Easy operation and intuitive software interface
- Export of the results in multiple formats such as .pdf, .txt, .jpg with software flexibility for the creation of result reports and archiving of the measurement data.
- 600 ml standard bath volume
- Compliant with ISO 13320 and 21 CFR-Part 11
* The measuring range depends on the sample.
The autosampler doses fully automatically up to 60 samples no matter if they are dry powders or pre-dispersed liquid dispersions. The included barcode printer ensures that the results are recorded for the corresponding sample. The sampler is cleaned by ultrasound to avoid contamination.
- Suitable for powders and dispersions
- Sampling volume: 0,5 – 5 ml
- Capacity sample vial: 10 ml
Solvent-resistent small volume dispersing unit BT-80N
The BT-80N external small volume dispersion unit is ideally suited for reproducible particle size measurement in polar and non-polar solvents. Due to the small volume of liquid, the consumption of solvent is low. The effective and controllable ultrasonication allows the measurement of difficult to disperse and reagglomerating systems.
Cleaning and a sample or solvent change is very easy due to the quick-lock system. The sample feed to the Bettersizer S3 series is realized via a solvent-resistant tube and controlled manually.
- Sample volume: approx. 80 ml
- Stainless steel stirrer vessel with centrifugal pump and quick-lock mechanism
- Ultrasound: infinitely variable power up to 50 Watt
- Variable pump or stirring speed
- Display for function monitoring (stirring speed and ultrasonic strength)
- Suitable for aqueous, polar and non-polar solvents
By means of this external, controllable ultrasound option, the measurement of difficult-to-disperse and reagglomerating systems is made possible.
- Additional ultrasound unit for BT-802/BT-803
- Adjustable up to 200 W
- Incl. mounting and assembly
Automatic recycling Unit
With the online dispersant recycling A.R.U., you can easily and quickly reduce solvent consumption, e.g. of isopropanol.
- 2x 20 l stainless steel pressure vessel
- mounted on stainless steel frame