Pi Sentinel PRO
The Pi Sentinel PRO, new generation of the traditional Particle Insight instrument, is a class-leading dynamic image analyser that is ideal for applications where particle shape, not just the particle size, may be critical information for predicting raw material quality and to maintain a high level of process control.
Particle morphology provides important information regarding the physical shape properties of your sample. It has been shown that shape can affect flowability, dispersion, packing density, segregation, aggregate formation, and microstructure character.
The fully automated Pi Sentinel PRO, now controlled by an All-in-One computer, is a well-suited research grade instrument or for use in a production process where speed, accuracy, and ease of use with its Pass/Fail shape control limits feature can be utilized.
Dynamic Image/Particle Shape Analyser
Principles of Operation
Particles are suspended homogeneously in a carrier liquid. They pass through a thin flow cell in the optical path. Light is transmitted through the flow cell, thus projecting silhouettes of the particles onto a high-resolution camera sensor. The high frame rate and high resolution of the camera combined with a high-speed host computer enables the characterization of thousands of particles per second in real-time. This technique is ideal for applications where shape, not just diameter, is critical information for predicting raw material performance.
Pi Sentinel PRO New FeaturesAs a new generation of the traditional Particle Insight instrument, the new features are:
- Improved optics. All components related to image capture (camera and Lens) have been noticeably improved, including easier magnification configuration. Higher speed data transfer rate improves real-time analysis.
- Improved Light source. The strobe light source has been replaced with a brighter strobe light with an amber filter. This filter reduces the effect of multiple wave lengths when using white light only.
- Improved images. Higher resolution and image capture for better edge definition.
- Improved accuracy. Better accuracy and ability to differentiate minor differences in particle shape down to one micron.
- Improved resolution. USB 3 high resolution digital camera with up to 5 MPs resolution and higher speed data transfer rate and capable of taking up to 127 frames per second rated, captures live images of thousands of particles.
- Improved fluidics. The oscillating pumps have been replaced with stronger peristaltic pumps that use a chemical resistant tubing. Also, the peristaltic pumps are less prone to maintenance issues.
- Improved plumbing. Pi Sentinel PRO has a Chemical resistant tubing to maintain compatibility for organic solvents.
- Improved Sample Cell assembly. The Quartz sample cell has been implemented with quick connectors (body and insert) to facilitate easy removal for cleaning purposes, replacement or just change the size of the cell for another size.
- Improved thumbnail features. When viewing particle thumbnails, the left-mouse button will display all the shape measurement values for that selected thumbnail, the right-mouse button will allow the user to eliminate that specific particle from the database and statistics. Useful when, for example, a single air bubble is not wanted in the database.
- Improved correlation plot features. Correlation Plot now, able to view thumbnails directly from correlation plot area of interest.
- New perimeter measure. A second Circularity measure was developed called “Perimeter Circularity” to assist customers with existing FPIA systems who have data using this different Circularity measure.
- New 3 digits resolution. Circularity and ALL other fraction measures have data reported with 3-decimal place accuracy. A requirement for transition from FPIA data to Pi Sentinel PRO data.
- New instrument Certification program. IO / OQ Certification and Validation program using NIST traceable standards.
- New Data Integrity compliance. The Certification program complies to new Data Integrity FDA Guidance document.
- New computing platform. Included with every system is an All-in-One computer with touch screen, allowing the customer more interaction with the software features.
- New software interface. The software user interface has been changed to reduce the clutter of options presented to the user. The user still has all the options of the old Pi, they are just accessed differently.
Benefits of the Pi Sentinel PRO:
As a result of the improvements, the benefits are:
- Higher speed data transfer rate, up to 127 frames per second rated digital camera with up to 5 MPs resolution, captures live images of thousands of particles.
- Over 30 shape parameters are recorded, including circularity, ellipticity, opacity, mean diameter, smoothness, aspect ratio, fiber length and many more.
- All analysed particles have thumbnail images saved for post-run viewing and shape analysis, both in grey scale and binary views.
- Ability to compare different analyses via histogram overlays for all analysed shape parameters.
- Scatter plot correlates two shape measurements and can be utilized as a process quality control criterion as an at-line application within unit operations.
- Unique and powerful software permits the use to simplify data processing to a pass/fail reporting or choose to extend data analysis to a full suite of post processing image and shape analysis reports